- Pre heat oven to 180˚C/Fan 160˚C/Gas 4
- Grease and line 2 x 1lb loaf tins
- Melt the butter, treacle and syrup in a large saucepan over a low heat. Then, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Sift together flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices. Add to saucepan and mix thoroughly to form a smooth batter.
- Beat the egg and milk together. Add slowly to the saucepan, stirring until well mixed.
- Pour into the prepared loaf tins and bake for 35-40 minutes until risen and the cake springs back when touched.
- Remove from the oven and set aside. Allow the cakes to cool in the tin.
- Mix icing sugar with enough lemon juice to make it just runny, drizzle over the cakes and sprinkle with chopped ginger. Allow to set.