- Press cloves into onion.
- In a saucepan place studded onion, bay leaf and peppercorns, add milk. Bring up to boil. Remove from heat, cover with lid and leave to infuse for up to 2 hours.
- Remove onion, bay leaf and peppercorns, keep to one side.
- Stir in breadcrumbs and 25g butter, heat gently on a very low heat for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally until crumbs have swollen and sauce thickened.
- Replace onion and set aside, keeping warm until required.
- To serve, remove onion, reheat gently, and stir in remaining butter. Adjust seasoning. Pour into warm dish/jug.
- The classic accompaniment to turkey or chicken and definitely worth the effort at Christmas time. If any leftover then it is also delicious cold, spread on turkey sandwiches!